While taking a passport photo, you should wear a dark-colored dress that has clear contrast with white background. You shouldn’t wear a scarf or hat and jewelry that cover your part of the face.
In this blog, I will discuss how to get dressed for taking a biometric photo for a passport or any ID card. Hope it will help you take a nice photo for your passport.
What Color to Wear for Passport Photo?
You better wear black or dark-colored clothes that have clear contrast with the white background of the passport. It helps to clearly identify your facial features especially when you have a light skin tone or the photo is taken with a lot of light.
Additionally, wearing dark clothing also helps to create a more formal and professional appearance in the photograph, which may be especially important when you are taking the photo for a passport or other official purposes.
What is the best color to wear for passport photo?
The best color to wear for a passport photo is Black or dark color. As the background of your photo is white or grey, dark colored dress makes contrast the background of your photo. On the other hand, a white dress mixes up white photo background. So stay away from light colors.
ICAO Guidelines to Take Photographs for Passports
According to the Passport Photograph guidelines by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) which regulates international standards of biometric photos, some important guidelines are:
- The photograph must show you looking directly at the camera.
- Show your skin tones naturally.
- Show your eyes open and clearly visible
- No hair across your eyes or face.
- Don’t wear dark glasses and heavy frames that cover any part of your eyes.
- Don’t wear head coverings like a hat and scarf except for religious reasons. When you are covering your heads, make sure you are not covering any part of your face.
- Make sure, your facial features from the bottom of the chin to the top of the forehead and both edges of your face must be clearly shown.
What to wear for passport photos?
According to Passport Photograph guidelines by International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), you better wear:
- Wear black or dark clothing that has clear contrast with the light background of the passport.
- Remember that your chin, forehead, and edges of your face must be visible.
- Don’t wear a hat or scarf except for religious reasons.
- Don’t hide any part of your face with jewelry, or a heavy eyeglasses frame.
You know a passport photo is a biometric photo that is used for face recognition at airports. The facial recognition software reads our passport photo as well as scans our faces to match and prove our identification. So while taking a passport photo, you should wear such clothing that helps your photo to be clearly visible and identified.
What not to wear for a passport photo
Your passport photo must follow the ICAO guidelines. So, to take photos following international standards, you can now wear:
- Heavy frame eye-glasses that cover any part of the eyes
- A uniform or camouflage attire
- Any head covering (except for religious or medical purposes)
- Headphones or earbuds
- Any big jewelry that covers up your face.
What colors not to wear for a passport photo?
Here are the colors you should avoid wearing for your passport photo:
- Light beige or gray
- Pastel colors like light blue or salmon
Can You Wear Makeup for Passport Photo?
Yes, you can wear makeup for passport photo to look fresh and simple. Be sure your face looks natural and has everyday look. You must avoid heavy makeup and bold colors as they can make your facial features distorted or hide your natural skin tone.
Here are some quick tips to wear makeup for a passport photo:
- Keep your face moisturized and fresh. You can use an oil-free light foundation where necessary. Avoid full coverage and heavy foundation.
- You can use very light mascara to define your eyelashes.
- You can use natural-colored lipstick or lip balm to add a touch of color to your lips. Make sure you are not changing the color of your lips.
- Keep in mind that you can not distort or exaggerate your facial features. So wear makeup little.
Can you take a passport photo without a shirt?
No, you are not allowed to take photos for your passport without a shirt or T-shirt. A passport photo is not approved if you don’t wear clothes covering your chest. So, you have to wear a shirt or t-shirt to take a passport photograph.
Can You Smile for a Passport Photo
Yes, you can, but make sure your eyes are open and your mouth is closed. It is important to keep your expression neutral not smile too widely and not look too serious. So keep a smiling face looking at the camera with a natural and relaxed expression.
In short, you have to wear a dark-colored dress so that your picture is clearly visible with light background on the passport page. You should have a regular and everyday look on your face.
You can not cover your head unless you are wearing it for religious reasons. If you are covering your head make you don’t hide any part of your face.
If you are a woman, avoid wearing over-makeup that destroys your natural look and skin tone. You shouldn’t wear big-size jewelry that covers your face part.
You may want to read: How to track my Passport Ireland
I hope, you find this post helpful if you are planning to take a biometric photo for your passport. Please share this article with your friends with the below share button.
Please visit eservicesbd.com for Citizen Services by government, Passport, National Identity Card, Online Banking, Vat, and Tax information.
You should wear a black or dark color dress that has contrast with the light background of passport. As the passport photo background is light or white, you have to stay away from light-colored clothing.
You better wear dark chothes for passport photo. However, you can wear any color just avoiding full white or whitish color as white clothes are mostly invisible with white background of passport.
Yes, you can wear lipstick just for adding a natural color touch to your lips. Make sure you are not changing the color of your lips.
Yes, you can wear earrings while taking photo for your passport, but make sure they are not so big that they cover any of your facial parts or edges. Big size jewelry often hide face parts.
You can not smile widely in passport photo because a wide smile changes your facial structure and feature. As a result, it may be impossible to match your passport with your real face through a face recognition machine or human.
The black color shirt is the best for passport photo as the black color has clear contrast with the light background.